It’s quite simple. Just download the app from the App Store. When opening the app for the first time, we will guide you through the registration. You can then immediately check available meals in your neighbourhood and buy the portion that you want. Remember that you have 30 minutes to pick it up from the home chef.
Alternatively, you can post your own excess food portions on sale to someone to enjoy!
Our main idea is that the home chef packs the portion and the buyer picks it up from the home chef’s place.
No. We provide a platform to reduce the amount of food being thrown away everyday. NeighbourFood also enables doing good and donating most of the meal purchase price to charity thus helping to fight hunger all over the world. Also, we provide a healthy alternative to the processed microwave ‘meal’ on those busy weekdays when you can’t be bothered to cook and wash up, or just want to save time for the more important things in life.
It is easy! When you have found a portion that you want, just tap the buy -button. If you haven’t added your card already, we will walk you through. If you have your added your card already, just press confirm -button. Then just pick the portion from the seller's place. Remember, that the buyer is responsible for picking up the order from the location the home chef has provided within 30 minutes after the purchase has been made.
That can well be the case, and it’s a definite bummer. However, as we grow and more and more people hear about us, there will also be more meals posted. You can help us spread the word or become a home chef yourself. Why not mention in your neighbourhood that you’ve found a cool way of food sharing.
Our intention is that everyone who buys a meal will read the chefs reviews first. We regularly investigate low ranking chefs, and if appropriate, expel them from the service.
If you still think that the meal you had was not edible, let us know.
The home chef donates the purchase price to charity, so they are not benefitting from the deal financially. Our charity partner, The Finnish Red Cross, gets 70% of the payment and the remaining 30% is used to maintain and develop the NeighbourFood service.
We use Verifone and Nets in the payments so your payment is secured by the most trustful eCommerce payment service and acquirer. The payment is done with your credit / debit card. When buying for the first time, we will guide you through the steps of adding your card info.
Our mission is to reduce food waste, but also help fight against hunger in the world. Paying a small fee for a meal enables donations to charities that combat starvation all across the globe.
We think it’s sad that people don’t know their neighbours anymore. Our lives are increasingly isolated and experienced through computer screens. Our goal is to build local communities where people share food and trust each other. You might even become friends with your neighbourhood chefs, and prepare meals for each other to save time and food waste.
Although everyone we know can cook food for themselves without getting ill, we understand that some people may still have concerns. That’s why the chefs registered on NeighbourFood are all provided with information about basic food hygiene. Also, they usually eat the same food they cook for you. The chefs need to list the ingredients of their dishes and they are also rated by other users for future reference.
NeighbourFood uses “Digits by Twitter”, a service for ensuring that we have the right person and correct mobile phone number.
The “Portions” -section uses location information to sort the meals by range, so the closest meals are displayed first.
The app uses GPS location data to find the closest meals for you. Sometimes it may take awhile to get the app oriented correctly. The data connection may also pose some restrictions.
For the moment, the NeighbourFood App is only available for iOS, but an Android version will be added in the near future. For the best compatibility, please use an iPhone with iOS 9.0 or newer. iPads are also supported, but with certain limitations.
No. We believe that charity organisations are doing an amazing job and we want to help them.
Yes. NeighbourFood is a limited liability company, registered in Helsinki, Finland. We consider ourselves an impact company or a social company, whose purpose is to bring value to our stakeholders (Red Cross, local communities and hungry people).
You can find more information on us on the “Team” tab, but in short, we are a bunch of socially conscious people who think that we should leave this place in a better condition than how we found it.